Wednesday, December 9, 2020

No return trip to Daytona (at least not in 2021)

As much as yours truly would love to return to Daytona International Speedway for the Rolex 24, I don’t believe 2021 will be the year to do so.  The pandemic is still with us, something I try very hard not to think or be concerned about, despite its severity and impact still being felt, worldwide.  Sports car racing is what I’d like to focus on, hence, why I write in this blog every single day.  I think another contributing factor to not making the trip in ‘21 is the date change.  The race is being moved back one whole weekend from where it was in 2020 to make room for the qualifying race that was announced in order to set the field.  I will be content, this year, to enjoy the races, and cheer on my favorite team at Action Express, with our two-car Cadillac operation, from the comfort of home, intently watching the races on NBC Sports.

Plus, who knows what the weather will be like in Daytona.  It was sunny and warm on the Friday I was there for the Michelin Pilot Challenge event and cooled off dramatically the rest of the weekend. Daytona in January is rather chilly.  It is not like other places in the state of Florida that are warm most of the time. There is a nip in the air when you least expect it, which is what I definitely found out attending the race this year.  So, better to be at home, watching on the television, or on the NBC Sports Gold Track Pass app more specifically, to check out the action.  I think many fans, have made the same decision.  Better to stay home for now.  Plus, I shall be able to report on the race, live, as it happens, instead of waiting.  Trying to report on the race, directly from the speedway would be next to impossible, and though I stayed at the same hotel where the team at Action Express stayed, this year, internet access to see if I could try posting blog updates, was a bugaboo.

So, in lieu of another trip to Daytona, I will be in my house, enjoying the race on the app streaming service from NBC Sports Gold, and covering the whole deal, live.  I’m crushed that it won’t work to get to the race in person this January.  But maybe, another door will open, to come back to Daytona for the 60th anniversary Rolex 24 in 2022.  That, is a prospect worth dreaming about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment