Tuesday, July 4, 2023

A king-sized weekend of sports car racing coming up

If you are a sports car racing diehard like me, this will be your ideal weekend to be on the couch with whichever app you can use to catch all the racing going on.  We’ve got two massive sports car races in two different parts of the world, on the same day, on Sunday!  On the one hand, I fault the organizers for not finding a way to make the date clash inescapable.  But, with only 52 weeks in a year and of those, about 30 are usable weekends, it is hard to avoid.  So, first off, because my buddies at Action Express are competing there, I am going to focus on the IMSA WeatherTech Sports Car Championship sprint round in Canada which I believe will also see two races for the sprint format VP Sports Car Challenge as well.  

After that, there is the 6 Hours of Monza at the Autodromo Nazionale di Monza in Monza, Italy.  “The Temple of Speed” is Ferrari’s house, and they will surely want to follow up their recent Le Mans success by getting the W at the 6 Hours on Sunday.  We also have the Creventic 24 Hour Series running a race at Estoril in Portugal, a 12-hour event.  There was another recent Creventic race which I did write a brief snippet about that I shall go back and look at when I have the time.  I believe it was their event at Monza in Italy, ironically, and for some reason, I saw the qualifying round was on their YouTube channel but I never saw if the race broadcast was on there or not.  

I shared who won that one.  But I don’t recall ever getting to share the race broadcast.  Such a shame.  Hopefully that shall change for Estoril.  Plus, yours truly is very nearly finished with the 1,000 Kilometers of Paul Ricard which was the GT World Challenge/SRO Europe event at Paul Ricard in the south of France, the race before Spa.  That will be finished and posted very soon.  …And, I still must backtrack to Father’s Day weekend when the SRO America races took place at Virginia International Raceway took place.

Lots to do.  There is only so much time in a day and only so much energy to blog all this.  This is a mentally exhausting task, to bring you all the action as I promise all the time.  Maybe, just maybe, after Mosport is complete with IMSA, I should be able to bring you a good chunk of these other promised events.  I will do my best to deliver on said promise.  For now, keep it on the black stuff and out of the gravel trap, and we’ll talk to you very, very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment