Wednesday, May 8, 2024

EDITORIAL: FIA WEC coverage

Trying very hard to find the time to cover some of the FIA World Endurance Championship races, especially the one from Imola as well as this weekends' upcoming race at Spa Francorchamps in Belgium which is the traditional race that happens before the biggest of the year, the 24 Hours of Le Mans.  Time is exactly what I have not had, yet, to cover these races, with every other sports car race that has been going on or is about to happen when you think of things between SRO, IMSA, and other championships globally.  Rest assured, I shall get to these races for the World Endurance Championship, hopefully before Le Mans takes place.  I just do not quite know when.  They are definitely upon my radar.  Maybe, after the Laguna Seca IMSA race, that is when you can expect to see a race report from Imola, and perhaps, after the SRO America races at Circuit of the Americas, there will be a report from Spa.  

The Hypercar field in World Endurance is stacked this year and so is the new GT3 class.  I think that is what is making the 2024 World Endurance Championship season so exciting.  I think the trouble lies though in how Discovery+ is handling the coverage through Motor Trend as Motor Trend no longer has a standalone app but has been integrated into the entirety of the Discovery+ network and therefore, it is harder to find any live broadcasts through their network and fans are usually stuck with waiting until the FIA WEC puts the full race broadcasts up on their official YouTube channel.  

This is problematic as I cannot yet (as I explained) find the time to cover these fabulous races for you.  I'll admit, I am also concerned about the idea of how the 24 Hours of Le Mans in a few weeks will be covered for this very reason.  Especially considering, that just like last year for the centenary, this year's Le Mans has one of the best entries in many, many years with the Hypercar, LMP2, and GT3 fields all absolutely stacked.  I will do my best to cover what I can.  I guess that is all I can tell you at this moment in time.  It is frustrating, but, it might just have to be done this way for the foreseeable future.  If a window of opportunity opens to blog Imola, and the same for Spa, you will be able to read all about it right here on the blog.

Hang in there, and stay tuned, everyone.  What more can I say.  


No comments:

Post a Comment